April 15, 2018
Termites are the competitive eaters of the insect world. Typical termite colonies eat about a pound of wood a year. If the colony is a particularly large one, they can ingest even more! The condition of the wood is also a major factor. Because they literally feast on your home, termites can cause significant damage to your property. Colonies can quickly grow out of control, and the resulting damages can be quite costly. At the first sign of a problem, you should call Boz Pest Control. If you notice the following signs, you may have an infestation:
Signs You Have a Termite Infestation
- Tunnels in your wood. These may not be noticeable from the outside, but if you see them in a broken piece of wood it means that hungry termites have found their way into your home.
- Hollow wood. Termites eat the wood in your home from the inside out. If you find areas that seem to be very hollow or even papery, termites are a likely culprit.
- Droppings. Termite waste may appear as black streaks or a dark powder around the wood in your home. This is a sure sign of an infestation, so it’s best to act quickly.
- Winged termites. Often confused with flying ants, some termites can fly. This is a sign that they’re looking for a new home, so call Boz pest as soon as you see them. Keep an eye out for discarded wings as well, as they lose them after mating.
- Warped doors and windows. This occurs during hot and humid weather, but termites are a lesser known cause. As they munch the wood, window and door frames can change shape.
- Crunching sounds. This is perhaps the most alarming sign of all – when you can literally hear them eating your home around you! Quiet clicking sounds coming from your walls could be the noisy little eaters moving around through your wood.
How Boz Pest Can Help
Because pest problems can quickly grow out of control, so it’s important for you to call us at the first sign of a termite problem. We offer a perimeter treatment that places an insecticide. Termidor, in the soil around your home. While it’s extremely potent and useful in the prevention and eradication of termites, it’s children and pet safe. We will also advise you on the best practices to prevent their return, such as:
- Storing firewood away from your home
- sealing cracks and crevices you may have in your foundation
- replacing and water damaged wood
To keep your home termite free this spring, call Boz Pest Control.
North Shore Service Areas: