April 15, 2015
Ant infestations come in all shapes and sizes. Harvester ants, moisture ants, field ant, pavement ants…there are thousands of known ant species, but off all the different types, the carpenter ant is perhaps the most problematic to homeowners. In upcoming blogs, we’re going to discuss why a carpenter ant infestation in your Lynn, MA home can be destructive to your property, how to tell if you own Lynn home has ants, and what solutions Richie the Bug Man relies on to make your ant problem a thing of the past.
But first, here are 3 facts about carpenter ants:
- Carpenter ants do not eat wood. Although carpenter ants build their homes in moist, decaying, wood, their actual diet largely consists of sugars and meats. This common misconception stems from the fact that carpenter ants will displace wood shavings and burrow passageways through wood grain. If your pests are wood-eaters, call Richie about termites!
- They can fly. Carpenter ants have two separate manifestations: workers and swarmers. The workers do all of the colonies grunt work, from building new passageways to gathering food. Swarmers are slightly larger and have wings – these pests travel away from the initial colony to make and start colonies of their own. This is how carpenter ant infestations spread, and the winged swarmers are typically the first thing homeowners notice. Swarmers generally indicate a well established and expanding colony.
- Queen carpenter ants can live for 25 years. While the workers and swarmers typically only live about 6 to 12 weeks, a queen carpenter ant has a tremendous lifespan, ensuring that any carpenter ant problem your home may have will not go away on its own!
The 5 Signs of Carpenter Ant Infestation
Once you start to notice any of the following, call Richie the Bug Man in for fast, safe, and efficient extermination. Boz Pest Control handles ant infestations in Lynn all of the time, and we always do our work without dangerous chemicals or pesticides.
- Wood Shavings and Debris from Tunnels
- “Rustling” Sound in Walls from Ant Activity
- Bodies of Dead Ants
- Swarmers in Living Spaces or Home Exterior
- Visible Nesting Sites with Smooth Wood
No carpenter ant problem is too large or too small. For immediate carpenter ant extermination service, call the best expert in Lynn today!
North Shore Service Areas: