March 17, 2014
Important to Recognize the Differences Between the Two Pests
If you’re a homeowner, you probably aren’t too concerned with whether your pest problem has to do with mice or rats. You just care that you have pests in your house in general. Well, Richie is here to let you know that the difference is important!
The way mice and rats live and crawl around your house are significant, and you are going to want to point them out appropriately. This way, when you call Bozarjian Pest Control, we will know exactly how to treat it, and do it quickly!
Mice vs. Rats: What’s the Difference?
They’re both creepy. They’re both crawly. And you don’t want either of them in your home. But yet, there are still some significant differences that you should be aware of.
- While they will eat pretty much anything that’s laying around, typically they go for cereal grains and plants.
- When they nest, they choose places near food.
- The nest will be made of any soft material or shredded paper.
- They reproduce… and fast!
- Mice are most active from dusk until dawn. It’s rare that they are seen during the day, but if they are it’s probably because they are seeking food.
- They’re so small they can fit through even the tiniest of gaps.
- They have a musky odor.
- Droppings, gnawing, and tracks are clear signs you have an infestation.
- Like mice, they eat almost anything, but prefer fresh grain and meat.
- They typically burrow under buildings, along fences and railroad tracks, and under vegetation.
- Spring is the most active season for rat breeding, and when they do, you’ll see plenty to go around.
- They can enter in buildings or homes through gaps as small as 1/2 inch.
- They can also enter through broken drains or toilets.
- Rats normally stay within 300 feet of their nest.
- Again, like mice, you will notice droppings, gnawing, tracks, and burrows if you have an infestation.
We hope that you never have to experience either of these pests in your home, but if you do, don’t hesitate to call Richie the Bug Man.
At Bozarjian Pest Control, we’re trained and ready to treat your mice or rat problem to ensure they never come back again. Call us today!
North Shore Service Areas: